Friday, July 11, 2014

#NatLife

Hello!

I am one of the assistant coordinators, and I’m writing to give you all an update on what I’m up to this summer. As you all know from my bio on the “Meet the coordinators” page which I’m sure all of you have read and memorized, I am from Vermont and am living here this summer.


I am currently working for the Governor of Vermont on his re election campaign. I am doing communications for the campaign as well as some field work. Day to day I run the Governor’s facebook page, twitter and handle all campaign problems. I have never before tweeted, and so I have had to master the 140 character message quickly (conclusion: twitter is dumb). I really love politics and this is the third campaign I have worked on. On my previous campaigns I was a field organizer so I spent a lot of time organizing people and events. But this time around I mainly work from my office in Burlington VT (if you’re from this area and want to meet up and talk Bates/AESOP give me a holla!!) This job is pretty interesting and I work with great people. But that being said, I am learning that a desk job might not be right for me.


As you have found out from my bio (just read my bio jeez) I really like being outside. I think that my co coordinators would agree that we all get agitated being inside for too long. Often, I stare out my office windows and dream of hiking and biking. In my free time I have been cycling a lot. I am living in Stowe Vt, which is home to Vermont’s tallest mountain Mount Mansfield. The ride I like the best is the notch between mansfield and another ski area, Smugglers notch. This ride is awesome but basically almost kills you. With a set of extremely steep switchbacks at the top you think that you may go into cardiac arrest but just as you almost pass out you reach the top. Its way better than it sounds.


Other than biking, I hike a lot, eat a lot and look for swimming holes. I have also been preparing for my semester abroad this fall. After we send you guys out on trips, I am hopping on a plane to Nepal! I have been reading up on Kathmandu where I will be living for three months, and I’m getting a little nervous about going. Also very excited. Thats pretty much it! All and all its been a great summer so far and I’m really looking forward to coming back to Bates in August. Spending my last days in the States with my co coordinators and AESOP leaders is going to be the perfect sendoff. I can’t wait.


Lastly, here are some tips for your summer after you graduate high school/before you come to Bates: relax. a lot. Have fun. You’ve gotten into a great school, be happy. Don’t worry about Bates because AESOP is the best thing you will ever do until you lead an AESOP.


Feel free to email me and ask me questions if you want! Enjoy the rest of your summer!


Nat
nsilver@bates.edu



No comments:

Post a Comment