Tuesday, July 29, 2014

When Ankle-deep Mud is a Blessing - A Summer in the White Mountains with the Randolph Mountain Club

Hey guys! My name's Jordan. I'm one of the assistant coordinators (along with Nat and Sasha) for this years AESOP program.

I hope the summer is treating you well because it certainly is being quite kind to me.  I’m up in the northern Presidential Range of New Hampshire half-way through my third season of trail work with the Randolph Mountain Club.  As part of my job I spend most of my time camped in the woods at project sights and am therefore very in-tune with whether patterns.  This summer has been gloriously beautiful.  Most of my project sites have only had ankle-deep mud rather than knee deep quagmires, which I became accustomed to last season where it rained more often than not.  BUT that’s New England for ya.  Don’t like the weather?  Wait five minutes and it will change.  But let’s be real; I am being paid to play in the mud with some wonderful people in an amazing place so I can hardly complain.

When I’m out of the woods I usually don’t stray too far from my mountains and often spend my free time climbing, running, and biking them.  I had this past week off from work in order to keep my body from falling to far into dilapidation (trail work is HARD but very rewarding).  On Thursday I was able to join with one of my geology professors (I’m a geology major), and some fellow Batesies for a day of bedrock-mapping in the Northern Presidentials.  The day consisted of an adventurous bush-whack along a stream system with the perfect combination of exertion (both mental and physical), pleasant conversation, and smiles.  The return to Randolph yielded soggy feet, the content silence often following a day of hard work, and a bag of wild Chantrelles (a type of delicious wild mushroom). 

On the very few occasions where I am not playing or working in the woods I am occupied with perfecting the details of a small business venture that a few friends and I began last year with Bates dining. More importantly though, I spend my time daydreaming about AESOP and concocting plans to make this year unforgettable! 


I am very excited to meet you all in August (jeesh… which is next month!!!!).  If you’re interested in learning a little more about where I’m from, what makes me tick, and the New England outdoors in general, feel free to email me at jcargill@bates.edu

Jordan (left), ankle-deep in mud, loving life
Jordan, wearing a straw hat, climbing, loving life

No comments:

Post a Comment